Who do I contact about problems/issues with an oil/natural gas well or drilling operation?

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission’s Oil and Gas Conservation Division has primary jurisdiction over oil and gas drilling and production in Oklahoma, as well as over environmental issues related to such sites. You can contact the OGCD 24/7 at 405-521-221l. You can also file a complaint at this link: https://www.occeweb.com/AspxForms/OGComplaintForm.aspx


What state agency handles utility billing disputes and cutoff notices?

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission’s Public Utility Division has a Consumer Services Department that will assist customers of regulated utilities with bill disputes, quality of service complaints, cut-off notices, and other issues. The Consumer Services Department can be reached at 405-522-0478. Outside the OKC metropolitan area, call 800-522-8154. You can also file a complaint by going to occeweb.com and clicking the “Complaints” tab.


Who sets utility rates in Oklahoma?

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission determines the rates of electric, natural gas, and water companies that are under the agency’s jurisdiction. Municipal utility rates are set by the municipality. While a few electric cooperatives have opted to stay under the jurisdiction of the Commission, most electric cooperatives have “opted out” of Commission jurisdiction, and set their own rates.


Are fuel prices and quality regulated in Oklahoma?

The price of fuel is not regulated in any state, with the exception of Hawaii. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission’s Petroleum Storage Tank Division has fuel inspectors who conduct inspections of fueling facilities to ensure fuel quality and accurate measurement. You can file a complaint concerning gasoline or diesel quality or measurement by going to occeweb.com and clicking on the “Complaints” tab, or by calling 405-521-4683.


Who regulates alternative energy (wind, solar) sites and electric transmission lines?

The location of commercial wind power and solar sites, as well as electric transmission lines, is a matter of local jurisdiction. The Oklahoma Corporation Commission does have jurisdiction over the decommissioning of commercial wind power sites.

How do I know if I have an issue with mold in my office/business? How do I handle it?

Molds produce a musty odor that may be the first indication of a problem. To find mold, examine areas for visible signs of mold growth and water staining. Other clues include excess moisture and water damage. It may be necessary to look behind and underneath surfaces, such as carpets, wallpaper, cabinets, and walls.

There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in an indoor environment. The way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.

For additional information see


What may I recycle? Where can I properly recycle?

Lists of recyclers, materials accepted, and other relevant information is available here:



When are soil tests necessary? What are the proper procedures to take soil tests?

A soil test must be performed prior to the installation of a subsurface on-site sewage system.  Two types of soil tests are used to determine the soil type on your property—the soil percolation test and the soil profile.  Each of the tests requires three test holes to be dug or drilled in the location of the proposed on-site system. For additional information http://www.deq.state.ok.us/eclsnew/OnSite/soiltest.htm


I have an environmental complaint.  Who do I contact?  Is this confidential? What information must I provide to proceed with the complaint?

To file a complaint, you can call the DEQ Environmental Complaints Hotline, at (800)522-0206. Or, if you would like to file an environmental complaint electronically, you can use the online form to e-mail a complaint to DEQ.

You may leave your name and contact information if you want to receive updates concerning your complaint. This will enable DEQ investigators to contact you for additional facts and provide you feedback on the investigation. You may request that this information be kept confidential. Confidential information will only be released if ordered by a District Court.

The following information is required to adequately address your complaint:

  • Describe your complaint in as much detail as possible
    • When did you first notice the problem?
    • How often does it occur?
    • Who is responsible?
    • Where is the problem located? (Please provide an address for the complaint site. If you do not have an address, provide detailed finding directions to the complaint site beginning at a nearby major intersection. Be sure the directions are complete.)

For additional information, visit http://www.deq.state.ok.us/eclsnew/complaint.htm or http://www.deq.state.ok.us/eclsnew/Complaints/onlncmpl.htm


I have a private well.  How do I test the water and what rights & responsibilities do I have with a private well?

The State Environmental Laboratory within DEQ provides analytical services upon request to individuals (private citizens requesting assistance in evaluating their individual water wells or suspected pollution of their property).

The federal and state governments do not regulate privately owned wells in Oklahoma. You are responsible for assuring that it is safe and of adequate quality for your needs. Routine testing for a few of the most common contaminants is highly recommended. Test water:

  • Annually for total coliform bacteria, nitrate, conductivity, and pH levels. It is especially important to have these tests performed if you have a new well or have replaced or repaired the pipes, pressure tank, pump, or well casing.
  • If there is an abrupt or noticeable change in your water

Additional information is available here http://www.deq.state.ok.us/csdnew/HomeWaterTestingFAQ.pdf


Where does my drinking water come from, and how do I know if it’s safe?

Oklahoma’s Public Water Supply program currently oversees more than 1,600 active drinking water systems.  These systems serve approximately 3.7 million customers. Of the 1,680 active drinking water systems in Oklahoma, 187 systems use surface water as their source of water.  This means the water is drawn from a reservoir, such as a lake.  There are 788 drinking water systems that draw water from underground aquifers, and 705 drinking water systems in Oklahoma purchase water from another drinking water system in the state.  All public drinking water supplies in Oklahoma are required to routinely monitor for a number of contaminants to ensure the public’s safety.  Data from the monitoring then must be reported to DEQ.

In addition, the federal Safe Drinking Water Act requires that community water systems prepare and distribute an annual Consumer Confidence Report, which is a report on the quality of drinking water.  This document must be distributed to water customers and consumers.

For more information, visit http://www.deq.state.ok.us/wqdnew/pws/index.html


Other information that might be helpful:

Drought and Water Conservation Information: http://www.deq.state.ok.us/conservation/index.html

Learn About Chemicals Stored in Your Community: http://www.deq.state.ok.us/lpdnew/saratitleiii/ChemicalsStoredinyourCommunity.htm

How and why was GRDA created?

GRDA was originally established by the 15th Oklahoma Legislature in April 1935 and given the responsibility to be a “conservation and reclamation district” for the waters of the Grand River in Oklahoma. Those responsibilities also charged GRDA with building dams along the river for the purposes of hydroelectric generation and flood control.

In the late 1970s, GRDA entered the thermal-generation field as growing customer demands required more electric generation capability. That resulted in the construction of the two-unit coal fired complex (now known as the Grand River Energy Center). Today, GRDA’s electric generation portfolio includes coal, gas, wind and water assets. It generates and transmits electricity to customers via a network of roughly 1,200 miles of transmission lines and interconnected substations.


How is GRDA governed?

GRDA is governed by a board of directors comprised of seven members, including representatives from each customer class (municipals, electric cooperatives, industrial). Three members are appointed by the Governor of Oklahoma; and one each is appointed by the Oklahoma State Speaker of the House and President Pro Tempore of the Oklahoma State Senate. Board members serves staggered, five year terms. Two other members are ex-officio and represent the Municipal Electric Systems of Oklahoma (MESO) and the Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives (OAEC).


Who are GRDA’s customers?

GRDA’s wholesale customer base includes Oklahoma municipalities (16), one distribution cooperative and five off-system customers located in Oklahoma and surrounding states. GRDA also sells retail electricity to 31 industrial and 49 commercial customers, mostly located within the MidAmerica Industrial Park (near Pryor). Directly or indirectly, GRDA electricity touches 75 of 77 Oklahoma counties.


What are GRDA’s lake management responsibilities?

At no cost to taxpayers, GRDA also manages, patrols and cares for the waters of the Grand River System. This includes roughly 70,000 surface acres of lake waters (Grand Lake, Lake Hudson, W.R. Holway Reservoir) that are among the most popular recreation destinations in the state.


Where is GRDA located/contact information?

GRDA’s administrative headquarters are located in Vinita, Oklahoma. Other facilities are located in Langley (Pensacola Dam and Ecosystem & Education Center); Locust Grove (Kerr Dam and Energy Control Center); Salina (Salina Pumped Storage Project); Chouteau (Grand River Energy Center); Tulsa (Engineering and Technology Center); Pryor (Transmission Maintenance Headquarters; Oklahoma City (OKC satellite office) and Cushing (Transmission Field Office). GRDA also owns a 36 percent interest in the Redbud Plant near Luther.

Main Number: (918) 256 5545

226 West Dwain Willis Avenue
PO Box 409
Vinita OK 74301

Chief Executive Officer – Dan Sullivan
Chief Operating Officer – Tim Brown
General Counsel – Ellen Edwards
Chief Financial Officer – Carolyn Dougherty

How is the OERB funded?

The Oklahoma Energy Resources Board (OERB) is funded by a one-tenth of one percent (1/10 of 1%) of the gross revenues received at the wellhead for oil, natural gas, casinghead gas or condensate produced from each well in the State of Oklahoma except for production exempt from the payment of gross production tax pursuant to Section 1001 of Title 68 of the Oklahoma Statutes.  The assessment is voluntary in that if a producer or royalty owner does not wish to participate in the program, they may request a refund of the assessment paid. The refund must be requested before March 31 for the preceding calendar year’s assessment.


Is the well site cleanup really free?

Yes.  The OERB is committed to providing a practical and economical remedy for environmental problems caused by any remnants of orphaned and abandoned well sites at no cost to the land owner.  If a land owner suspects there is an abandoned well site on their property, they should contact the OERB or the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.


I think my property has an abandoned well site. What can I do?

Landowners are welcome to call the OERB at 1-800-664-1301 or fill out an application at OERB.com/restoration. Our staff will work with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission to determine whether or not your site qualifies for cleanup. For more information about the requirements visit OERB.com/restoration.


I am a teacher and would like to learn more about the OERB’s energy education curricula.

The OERB has nine different energy curricula for grades K-12. To receive the curricula and free materials, a teacher must attend a workshop to be trained in the applicable curriculum. After the workshop is completed, the teacher receives a kit of materials needed to teach the activities in his/her classroom, a $50 stipend and a free field trip for his/her class. For more information about the OERB’s student education program or to sign up for a workshop, visit OERBHomeRoom.com.


I would like to expand my knowledge of oil and natural gas. How can I become PetroTech certified?

PetroTech is a focused technical training program for individuals interested in acquiring the knowledge and certification necessary to pursue a career in Oklahoma’s oil and natural gas industry. PetroTech offers classes in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. For more information, visit OERB.com/careers/petrotech.


How do I get a refund?

To request a refund call 1-800-664-1301.


I am a oil and natural gas professional and would like to become a Petro Pro. What do I need to do?

The OERB is always looking for dedicated oil and natural gas professionals to volunteer their time to teach kids of all ages about aspects of the industry. To get more information or to apply, visit oerb.com/education/become-a-petro-pro.

What is the Oklahoma Department of Mines website address?



There is mining in Oklahoma? Where? What kind? How much?



How do I contact the Oklahoma Department of Mines?

http://www.ok.gov/mines/ – scroll down the home page and click on the mail box icon.

Oklahoma Department of Mines
2915 N. Classen Blvd., Suite 213
Oklahoma City, OK 73106-5406
(405) 427-3859 Office
(405) 424-4932 Fax

Office Hours & Additional Information: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm

After Office Hours (Emergencies or Accident Reporting Only)
Non-Coal (405) 323-5233 or Coal (918) 346-3419


I’m a landowner whose land has been permitted for mining. When do I get control of my land back?

For Coal Permits – http://www.ok.gov/mines/Coal_Program/Bond_Release_Process/index.html

For Mineral Permits – http://www.ok.gov/mines/Minerals_Program/Non-Coal_Mining_Program/index.html


How do I contact the Oklahoma Miner Training Institute for training and class schedules?


Oklahoma Miner Training Institute
1301 West Main – Baker Hall
Wilburton, OK 74578
(918) 465-1799 Office   (918) 465-4490 Fax

Mr. Aaron Farris, Executive Director
(918) 465-1799

Do I need a water use permit from the OWRB?

If you intend to use water for any purpose other than domestic use, Oklahoma law requires that you obtain a permit from the OWRB. Domestic use includes the use of water for household purposes, for farm and domestic animals up to the normal grazing capacity of the land, and for the irrigation of land not exceeding a total of three acres in area for the growing of gardens, orchards, and lawns. Domestic use also includes water used for agricultural purposes by natural individuals, use for fire protection, and use by non-household entities for drinking water, restrooms, and watering of lawns, provided such uses don’t exceed five acre-feet per year. Please contact the OWRB for more information.


How can I find information about water wells located on or near my property?

The Groundwater Wells, Standards & Protections in Oklahoma map viewer features links to the OWRB’s water well log database and monitoring well data. Enter your address in the upper right corner and click on nearby wells. The well logs include information such as well completion date, depth to water, yield, and related details. Enter your address in the upper right corner and click on nearby wells. Please contact the OWRB for more information.


What is the quality of the water in my local lake, stream, or aquifer?

Visit the OWRB’s Beneficial Use Monitoring Program (BUMP) page to view the latest lake, stream, and groundwater data. Summary sheets provide information on a number of parameters and show whether or not a lake or stream is supporting its designated beneficial uses. Please contact the OWRB for more information.


I would like to obtain a loan from the OWRB. How do I get started?

The first step is to submit a preliminary application to the OWRB. For a Clean Water State Revolving Fund loan, contact the OWRB and request to be placed on the CWSRF priority list. Drinking Water State Revolving Fund loan projects are recommended by the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality. Applicants should contact the ODEQ at (405) 702-8100 and ask to be placed on the DWSRF Project Priority List. Please contact the OWRB for more information.


Is a dam near my property well maintained?

If you are concerned about a dam near you, contact the OWRB and request the most recent inspection report. You will need to know the exact location of the dam or its ID number. Please note that inspection reports are only required for dams classified as “high hazard.”


Where can I get my water tested?

Contact the State Environmental Laboratory at the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality at 1-866-412-3057.


What should I do if I have a complaint about the odor, taste, or appearance of drinking water and/or water pollution?

Contact the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality using their toll-free hotline at 1-800-522-0206.


Are the fish I catch in Oklahoma waters safe to eat?

Fish consumption is perfectly fine for most waterbodies in the state of Oklahoma; however, impairments for metals and other toxics do exist in some lakes and streams and should be avoided. For the latest consumption advisories visit the ODEQ’s Hook, Line, & Supper page.

Who needs Hunter Education?

Anyone ages 10 and older may complete the Hunter Education course online at wildlifedepartment.com and receive certification. Anyone may attend a Hunter Education classroom course, but only students who are 10 and older will be eligible to test for certification. Anyone age 31 and older does not need Hunter Education certification to buy a hunting license.

Anyone who is not Hunter Education certified may buy an apprentice-designated hunting license, and apprentice hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.

Accompanying Hunter Requirements: A person 18 or older who is licensed (unless exempt) and Hunter Education certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting, an accompanying hunter must be within arm’s length of the hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow of the apprentice. For small game hunting, the accompanying hunter must be within sight of and able to communicate with the apprentice in a normal voice without aid.


Do I need a license to have birds, snakes or other wildlife?

There are two types of licenses for breeding birds or animals. With both licenses, you can legally breed only purchased animals and you must have receipts of the purchases of the breeding stock. Also, with both licenses, you need to have the facility built, inspected by the warden of the county in which the facility is located, and have your license in hand before purchasing your breeding stock. Renewal forms for both licenses are mailed to the breeders during late June.

The commercial breeder’s license is purchased when the breeder wants to sell the birds or animals he raises or his stock. The license is $48.00 annually and needs to be renewed by July 1st. With the commercial license, the breeder is given a two-carbon page sales receipt to use when he sells his animals; one carbon copy for the breeder’s files, one carbon copy to mail to this office and the original to go to the purchaser. An annual report form is completed by the breeder at the end of the year and is mailed to this office giving all the details or purchase, sales, deaths and births of animals being raised for that year.

The non-commercial breeder’s license is purchased when the breeder wants to raise animals for his or her own consumption, keep as a pet, or to release with permission of landowner. This license is $10.00 annually and need to be renewed by July 1. An annual report and sales receipts aren’t necessary since there is no sale of animals.

If a person intends to purchase animals from out-of-state to breed, he or she will need an import and breeder’s license from the Law Enforcement Division before importing the animals. We have a schedule that’s show which animals require an import permit from ODWC or the Agriculture Department and a breeder’s license from the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.


Can I carry a handgun/pistol with me for protection while hunting?

To carry a handgun/pistol while hunting that is not a legal means of take for that season you would need to have a concealed carry license. If you are approached by a game warden or other law enforcement officer you will need to immediately notify them that you are carrying a concealed weapon.

Example: A handgun can be carried with a concealed carry permit while archery deer hunting. The handgun cannot be used to down an archery deer.


How do I replace my hunter education card, fishing license, or hunting license?

Call the License Division at (405) 521-3852.


Where can I get a copy of hunting and fishing regulations?

The Hunting and Fishing Guide is a single publication that is available at license vendors and Wildlife Department installations. It is available by August 1. The Waterfowl Guide can also be found at these locations beginning in mid-to-late September. A digital copy is available for download at wildlifedepartment.com.